The community of St John Vianney is pleased and blessed to partner with the families and guide them through Sacrament Preparation. The primary educators for the sacraments are the parents. It is expected that children and teens attend Mass on Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation and follow all requirements for Sacrament Preparation (RCIC/Baptism, First Reconciliation and Eucharist, and Confirmation).
Requirements for Sacrament Preparation
- Attend Mass on Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation.
- At least one year of Faith Formation (here at SJV or at a Catholic school) immediately before the year of preparation with good attendance (at least 70%).
- Registration in Faith Formation (here at SJV or at a Catholic school) the year of preparation.
- Registration in Sacrament Preparation. Note: Registration in Faith Formation is a separate process and program.
Rite of Christian Initiation for Children and Teens Preparation is offered for children and teens entering 2nd through 12th grade, are not baptized Christian, and have expressed a desire to become Catholic. RCIC Preparation is a series of meetings in addition to faith formation designed to prepare children and teens to become fully initiated members of the Catholic Church (Baptism, Confirmation, and First Eucharist).
Email for more information about RCIC Preparation.
First Reconciliation and Eucharist Preparation is offered for children and teens entering 2nd through 12th grade and are already baptized Christian. First Reconciliation and Eucharist Preparation is a series of meetings in addition to faith formation designed to prepare children and teens to celebrate the sacraments. Preparation for First Reconciliation (in the fall) must be completed before beginning preparation for First Eucharist (in the spring).
Email for more information about First Reconciliation and Eucharist Preparation.
Immediate Preparation for Confirmation is offered for teens entering 11th and 12th grade, are already baptized Christian, and have celebrated their First Eucharist. Confirmation Preparation is a series of monthly sessions that guide teens into a deeper relationship with Jesus Christ and focuses on preparing teens for mission in the life of the Church. During Confirmation Preparation, teens are challenged along their journey from an adolescent to mature faith and are equipped with tools to help them live a developed and dynamic spiritual life.
Confirmation Preparation Requirements:
While the specific requirements may vary from year to year, here are the general requirements.
- Requirements for Sacrament Preparation as seen above.
- Be involved in one liturgical ministry at St John Vianney.
- Participate in once a month Confirmation sessions to develop their spiritual life.
- Attend one weekend retreat specifically designed for Confirmation Preparation (September 29-October 1, 2023).
Email for more information about Confirmation Preparation.